Thursday, May 27, 2010

Freedom Writers... Junior & Senior Year

"When I was born, the doctor must have stamped "National Spokesperson for Plight of the Black People" on my forehead; a stamp visible only to my teachers. The majority of my teachers treat me as if I, and I alone, hold the answers to the mysterious creatures that African Americans are; like I'm Rosetta Stone of black people" (p. 112).

I've quoted this part from Diary entry 54 on page 112 because this is something I see teachers doing a lot of. Just because someone is of a certain race or nationality does not mean they know everything about it or that they even want to share with the group. Couple of examples come to mind:

1. When I was a teachers assistant a few years back, I was helping get ready for a Cinco De Mayo celebration. I was stuffing pinatas with a few other teachers, when one teacher said, "Man, I can't figure out how to get this pinata open... wheres the Mexican kids when ya need um." Other teachers started laughing. I was shocked & left the room. I could not believe someone would say this. So according to this teacher, every Mexican knows how to stuff a pinata?

2. At the same school, I was on a birthday committee. The month I had happen to have a women from Brazil in it. The note in my box from the person in charge of the month said, "in honor of_____, lets have a Mexican theme." I asked the teacher in charge, "oh does she like Mexican food?" She said, "She's from Mexico." "Well no", I say, "she is from Brazil". I think the other teacher got it then, and felt really stupid.

3. In a college class I had at Pacific University we had a guess speaker one night. The lady was talking about diversity. We had a very diverse group in our class (about 1/2 was from a different country). She looked at one man who said he felt stupid sometimes at schools because he didn't understand parts of speech. the speaker said, "Why because you speak Spanish?" Well he is from Indonesia... boy did she turn 3 shades of red!

The point of me sharing this is that just because someone appears to be from particular culture does not mean they are or that they know everything about that culture. The only thing that person can tell you for sure is about their family and traditions. After all, because I'm American does that mean I have the same beliefs, values, and traditions as every American... & I'm not a spokes person!!!

The Freedom Writers have really helped me to understand what many teenagers go through in inner cities. I hope they are all doing well, and all their dreams are coming true!

4 comments:

  1. I am so glad you chose to hit on this subject. Although I did not write about this entry in my blog, I really should have. You really make so many great points and so many people fall victim to stereotypes - especially people who have never lived in a community that is more than one race. I love how you said: "Just because someone appears to be from particular culture does not mean they are or that they know everything about that culture. The only thing that person can tell you for sure is about their family and traditions."
    Really well said and so true! Thank you for sharing these points!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn,
    What great examples of what not to do. I know that I sometimes have been guilty but not in the same way. I really want to know more about them and their culture and ask some questions to help all of us in the class.

    But you are correct. Lots of times I believe that folks just don't think. We are so ingrained with the dominant culture. This was a great book to help us see the other side.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the best way we can recognize and celebrate diversity in our classrooms is by really getting to know all our students. Everyone has their own culture, no matter what race they may be. My students with Mexican roots with have ties to different Mexican states and be very proud of those ties, so even within the same nationality there is more to be discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That part hit me hard too. It's horrible to assume such things about our students and also stereotype them. This isn't just for race either. Putting any label on students based on what we see and hear instead of what we learn from them ourselves is just as bad. Like Kristen said, it is important to get to know our students.

    ReplyDelete