Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Text Set

I did my text set on Native Americans, as I am teaching a summer program this year with one of the themes on this topic. As it is only a one week theme with 1st-5th graders I needed to find a large number of books that are for different leveled readers. One thing I did not include in my text set was fiction chapter books. I had checked out & read a few, but I will not really be able to read them... it would be a time issue.

Some of the activites we are doing consist of: reading various picture books from tribes all over America, creating totem poles, dream catchers, making are own stories as to why something is the way it is... and any other ideas and activies that interest the kids around Native Americans.

One Author I rediscovered was Paul Goble, who writes many orgin stories on the Great Plains Native Americans. His books are filled with great pictures as well as authentic stories from the Great Plains Native Americans. I also found great non-fiction books on many tribes wtih great photographs of people, trible grounds, artifacts, and much more.

I am excited to share all these great books with my class, and hope they will love teh books as much as I have!

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out Paul Goble. :)Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a historical chapter book I read in 5th grade that was based on a true story. It was about a white girl who was kidnapped by a tribe and came to learn about their customs and learned to love them. It's called Indian Captive: The Story of Mary Jemison by Lois Lenski. If you had high schoolers, I have a lot of other titles I could give you. One other good one that you could use is called The Way to Rainy Mountain and Morning Girl. The first book is written from three different perspectives.

    ReplyDelete