Saturday, April 10, 2010

Assignment 4: Higher Power of Lucky

Brief Summery:

Lucky is the main character in the book. “Higher Power of Lucky”. She lives in Hard Pan, California out in the middle of the desert. Lucky lives with a French woman named Brigitte who was Lucky’s father’s first wife. Lucky’s mother died and her father did not want to take care of her so she ended up with Brigitte. Brigitte is her guardian, but Lucky still feels as she could leave at any time. Lucky does many things to prepare herself to be ready for Brigitte to leave, thus what he story is about.

Why is that character acting like that?

Lucky really gets along with everyone… but there is really only 43 people in the town she lives to get along with. She is always trying to make other people comfortable. She does this one way by knowing when certain anonymous meeting are being held & cleans up after the other ones are held. For example, she the ex-drinkers smoke a lot, but then later in the day there is an ex-smoker group so she cleans up all the butts so they won’t feel uncomfortable. I think she also does this because there is really nothing else for her to do.

Lucky also likes when the people in the meeting come to the point in their stories when they hit rock bottom. Lucky thinks of what her rock bottom would be and what she would do when she gets there. What will her higher power be?

Where is the author going with this?

Susan Patron, the author, is explaining all the above because she wants to reader to see what Lucky’s fears are... being abandon, and what is really guiding her decision making… what the anonymous people are saying & how an adolescent interrupts that.

Has something similar happened to me? (text to self, T-S)

I remember times throughout my adolescent being afraid of my mother dieing ad no one wanting me , but I never had to experience that...thank god.

Have I read a book that deals with some of the same issues? (text to text, T-T)

Yes, I have read other book which deal with the same issues… Harry Potter goes through the same thing in the first two books… who wants him?

Is there something on a more global scale happening like this? (text to world, T-W)

Not that I can think of?? But there are people out there who feel nobody wants them.

Perhaps there is language in the book that is particularly descriptive or interesting.

The title: The Higher Power of Lucky… what is a higher power? So many different ways to interrupt that.

2 comments:

  1. I started to read this to my daughter before previewing it on my own. My daughter is nine and has not had to learn about alcoholics or AA.I quickly decided that I would finish it without her. Good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think the book has some real adult issues in it, and it is really for an older crowd. Glad you liked it:)

    ReplyDelete