Sunday, April 18, 2010

Censorship Issues

I have never had to experience censorship issues at any of the schools I've been at, but was surprised to see the different lists Cole provided throughout chapter 3. When I was in high school we read some of the books mentioned, but I never knew they where in question as to the content that lied in the pages.

I really think censorship of any kind, gets out of control. What an adolescent reads should really be left up to his/her parents, not some crazy group. Another valid point to be is that if a parent is questioning a book their child wants to read, they should read it first or with their child. I think when books a put on a "Do not read" list it makes it more desirable to people. I might say that I am more inclined to read some of the books talked about in the chapter because they are on a banded list.

A few years back I went to the Eugene Public Library, and they had all the covers of books hanging around the different sections of the library which were on the banded list. The books ranged from simple children's books to young adult lit. Wow, some of the picture books are ones I own and continually read. They also had the reasons for the ban on each book. Some where really laughable!

To end this post, I think that if you pick something apart enough you can always find a problem. Will we just get the point where nothing can meet the guidelines? Where creativity can't even be possible?

No comments:

Post a Comment