Sunday, April 11, 2010

Movie assignment: Crazy in Alabama

The movie, “Crazy in Alabama”, would really appeal to an adolescent. The main characters are two boys around the age of 13 growing up at a time in the South when there are a lot of transitions going on with segregation of the African American people. The boys are going through a lot of transitions themselves… they have lived peacefully out in the country with their guardian, but that soon changes when their aunt drops off her many children. The boys then move to town with their guardian’s son and his wife, and nothing is the same after that. They wonder why African Americans don’t have the same rights as them, and soon start marching with them. They see a lot of unjust things going on, and seek to change the town they live in.

I think many adolescents feel helpless in the world. They have opinions of their own, but struggle in how to express those opinions. “Crazy in Alabama” shows these struggles in many different ways, and also how you can stick up for what you believe in, even if you are an adolescent.

I watched this move myself as a young adolescent, and recently bought it for myself. I loved the inner struggles all the characters go though in it, and the many themes the movie presents, and how the characters deal with it. I would recommend this movie to adolescents and adults!

2 comments:

  1. This movie sounds great! I have never seen it before. Do you know what it is rated? Do you think I would be able to show it to 8th grade students? We do a unit on tolerance and discrimination,which I include the civil rights movement and many other groups and time periods of discrimination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Autumn! This definitely sounds like a movie worth watching.

    ReplyDelete