Sunday, April 18, 2010

Fahrenheit 451... A Challenged book?

On page 83 of our text, Cole provides a list of books with "Censorship as a Theme". I found the book "Fahrenheit 451" to be among the books listed. To start off I want to talk about my memory of reading this book in high school. Right from the beginning I really liked the book in the concept it portrayed... no one being able to read books because it makes them unequal. I thought, "what an interesting idea", especially in 1953. As I was reading the book the events of 911 took place, and everyone was going crazy! I was in the middle of the book, right at its climax, when my brother raced over saying all these crazy things, and was going to go and stock up on a bunch of items, gas being one of them. I remember I started crying, and could not read the book for a few days because it all seemed to real!

So coming back to it now I see why I got so freaked out. Ray Bradbury paints a picture of everyone living this life being equal. How great... or is it? The main character Montag, seems to have a great job... a fireman. But in this tale a fireman's job is a bit odd, instead of putting out fires they start them to burn books. Montag seems to like his life, he has a nice house, a good job, a wife, a BIG TV. What more could a person want? He soon meets the teenage neighbor next door who asks him interesting questions about life and the world around them, which get Montag thinking about the culture he lives in... so disconnected. He also realizes that the relationship with his wife is not really a relationship at all... after a significant event takes place.

Montag starts not liking his job, and as you read on find out that he has been steeling books. Montag tells his wife about the books, who freaks out because they are illegal. He soon finds himself plotting against others by putting books in houses only to call the fire department. Montag soon finds a call in on his house that results in a manhunt for him.... what will happen next?

I don't want to ruin the story for those of you who have not read it, but it has a realness to it in terms of the American society. I think the reason it upset so much when I was younger is that it shared some of the same themes happening then and now. I think Fahrenheit 451 is an excellent read for young adults as it presents real issues. One issue it presents to me is the idea of censorship itself. Yes, we can/have taken it too far!!!! Fahrenheit 451 shows what very will could happen if we seek to have a more equal society. Who should be the ones to censor books, movies, magazines, TV? Should it be that of our government? Are own choice? Good advice one should ponder is to not always listen to what others say when it comes to what you want to read or watch... make up your own mind about it!!

3 comments:

  1. This was (and still is) one of my favorite books from the moment I read it! I can understand why the book scared you after multiple readings. I often think about Bradbury's "inventions" and how most of them truly exist today. iPod headphones are basically the seashells that Guy's wife puts in at night and we all drive too fast on the freeway. Big screens are not only large and flat, but new technology allows images to fill the wall surrounding the television- similar to the tv walls in the book.

    It's amusing to think that what was once banned in school is now common, everyday practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know.... I love the book to, but had not really thought about it for several years until I saw it in the Cole book. I was great reading it as an adult.

    Yes many of his books peeked into the future... very smart man!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read this book...but I know it is one on my list of books I need to read. Thank you for sharing so much about it! I am completely curious about it and it definitely sounds like I need to read it soon. Great job on describing/summarizing it!

    Oh, and I love how you said to not always listen to what others say, but make up your own mind about it. I also feel so many people just take on other people's opinions and never really think for themselves. When it comes to books, you definitely have to read it first before you can really make an honest opinion about it!

    ReplyDelete