Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Assignment 3: Literacy Autobiography

When I was is first grade I remember my mom having me go to a bunch of doctors’ appointments, one being to get my eyes checked. I remember that appointment because my older brother and sister both had glasses and I desperately wanted a pair of my own. The appointment ended in me not getting glasses to which I was greatly disappointed, and later found out that my mom was taking me to all these appointments, as I was not reading at the level I should have been. Throughout the year I ended up being tested and put into a program called, “Reading Recovery” I liked going and loved my teacher for that class, Ms. Maran. We would sit in this little room and read fun little stories. I don’t think I really understood why I was in a one-on-one session with her, but I think I liked the special individual attention I received. At the end of the year I was a part of a study, which my mom taped and still has, where I read with Ms. Maran while some people watched from the other side of a two-way mirror. It’s hard to watch how I was barely reading, but my mom said that everyone was amazed because I had outstanding comprehension on everything I read. My special times with Ms. Maran only lasted that a year, and in second grade everything seemed fine as far as my reading went.

After second grade I entered third grade, just like everyone else. A few months in I again started to struggle, but this time it was not with reading but instead spelling or written language as my IEP said. From third grade on into my freshmen year of high school I found myself in several special classes, which didn’t start to bother me until middle school, but then what doesn’t bother a middle school kid? I started resenting my shortcomings, and had a terrible attitude when having to go to my “special” class. Finally in ninth grade the teacher in my low level English class told my mom that I really didn’t belong there for 90 minutes a day and that she would really like to see me in a general education English class, and that had been the last of me seeking help in terms of what I have described above.

Throughout my life the people who read to me the most were my mother and sister. I also have memories of reading with my grandma Appletoft and all the interesting books she had to choose from. My mother, who was/is a teacher, would often bring home books for me to look at and often times we would read together. One book that I started requesting was one entitled “Jelly Beans for Breakfast”. I loved that book! I remember thinking of it when I was older and could not find it at the local public library. I was so bummed, but my mom suggested I look at the school she us to work at. The librarian was the same, and remembers me liking that book but she had thrown it out a few years back as it was old. I went on for years trying to find it, but had no luck. On my 21st birthday my mom sent me a container with jellybeans in it… I was confused as to why she had done so only to find that in another package there it was, “Jelly Beans for Breakfast”! I could not believe my eyes, and when I began to read it, I burst into tears. I now read the book to the different children I work with, and give them each a jelly bean as a treat when I am done.

I really don’t remember any of my friends reading at all throughout my childhood and/or adolescents. When I took a novels class in 10th grade they all thought I was crazy, but I was excited. In an earlier post I reflect on that disappointing experience.

I don’t remember writing up until 7th grade with Mr. Rhodie. Both my siblings had him as well as my mother. He was not very nice to me at all… I’m not sure why. Anyway, thinking back he had us write a lot of papers and speeches. One speech assignment was entitled “A trip worth taking”. I did mine on going to the Alamo, my grandparents had just taken a trip there and brought me home presents that intrigued me. I spent hours on the speech and visual aids, and received a B-. I was so torn by it that I came home crying. My mom got really upset as well because she knew how much time I spent on putting the speech together. She called him to ask why, but he was such a jerk about it. Reading was pretty much the same with him; I could never perform the way he wanted me to.

To sum up, reading and writing has always been a struggle for me. I have leaned to overcome many of the obstacles that have faced me, and keep moving forward! College has really helped me become a better reader and writer, and I have met many great teachers who have helped me along my path in becoming an educator.

3 comments:

  1. Autumn, reading about your experience with Mr. Rhodie made me want to cry. That kind of experience can act as a trigger for some students. A trigger that makes them dread literacy, or one that makes them give-up on school in general, or one that sets them on a patch of troublemaking in that class. I'm glad that it didn't ruin you on reading.

    How frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, we have similar experiences with the special classroom. I had a speech impediment and had to go to speech several times a week. In elementary school, I loved going to speech class. It was a special time that I worked on my "r's." It wasn't until later that I realized that I was different somehow and became self-conscious of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Autumn-
    I love your story about the jellybeans! My mom likes to surprise me with things like that too. On her last visit we looked at "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" together- one of my favorites way back when. I also casually mentioned how I would love to own a set of "Boxcar Children" books because they are hard to find and I read them all over and over as a kid.

    I think every student hates middle school and it's sad to hear that you had such a painful experience with a teacher. I think it's one of our most important goals to remember how we felt going through school and reflect those feelings in our teaching.

    ReplyDelete